Dear 90s kids, can you believe it? We are no more 'kids' nor 'teens.' We are grown-ups now, doing taxes and all. Time passes so fast; indeed, as this decade will come to an end, the kids from 1990 will step into their 30s. I know what you are thinking when did that happen?
2020 is knocking on the door, and with that, another new decade will start, and are we going to play jazz music throughout? I mean, come on. It is the beginning of the 20s! But before we move on, let's do a quick recap. Let's flip through the pages of 2010-2019.
You must be thinking, why is this for the 90s kids? Think deep about it, which else generation got most out of this decade? We are the generation that saw the change from flip phones to big-screen smartphones. Ah! The new-gen kids will never know the drama of flipping your phone close after hanging up.
So here is a throwback, we are not going to talk about anything serious, just all the fun stuff that made us happy and groove and maybe a little bit of GK facts.
Let the ride begin...
The only thing that screams 2010 for you is FIFA World Cup 2010 that was held in South Africa and the whole of Paul the octopus predicting the finale and it coming true. Wow! Apart from that, you probably had the two official FIFA songs Waka Waka by Shakira and Wavin' Flag by K'NAAN memorized by heart.
For every Indian April 2nd, 2011 is something very emotional. After 28 years, India finally won the World Cup.
(I can bet you didn't sleep that night, you were on the street celebrating with your friends, fam, and neighbors!)
You thought that the world would come to an end on 21st December 2012. Haha! Jokes on all of us and obviously the movie but honestly fam, have you felt alive after that? At least I didn't.
You will be lying if you say that you haven't danced on the beat of Gangnam Style by PSY. We didn't understand a single lyric, but boy, the song was so catchy!
Besides the Korean music video, another thing that took over the world was the release of the first Avenger movie and no offense, but I stan Loki (even you secretly stan Loki).
What do you mean 'Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani' didn't make you want to go on a Manali trip with your school gang and fall in love all over again? The movie made you wonder, can help the Naina of your class can fall in love with the bunny of your group?
From a very scandalous Blurred Lines music video to watching our childhood idol Hannah Montana growing into 'child actress gone bad' Miley Cyrus in Wrecking Ball music video, wow 2013 was something when it comes to pop culture!
This year was a big deal for all book lovers. We had three movie adaptations of three incredible movies, The Fault In Our Star by John Green, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, and Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Also, let's not forget about the movie adaptation of 2 States by Chetan bhagat.
With teary eyes, we saw the last scene of Fast and furious 7 when the song. See you again started playing ad the two cars went separately on two different roads. Paul Walker, you are missed.
Anyway, Adele made a come back with her hit song 'Hello,' Justin Bieber got hot and boy 'What do you mean?' and with Fifty Shades of Grey hitting the cinemas, 'Love Me Like You Do'! (LOL)
The first rule of 2016 is we don't talk about 2016.
End of discussion.
Only one song describes 2017: "I'm in love with the shape of you we push and pull as a magnet do."This song was everywhere. The Musically kids were dancing on this song. Honestly, everyone was dancing to this song.
The year of no Game of Thrones, after all the wait Incredibles 2 hit the cinema, Thanos snapped, and half of the universe disappeared, The Vampire Diaries aired its final season. Everyone was asking, 'Kiki, do you love me?'.
People are waking up, we have started talking about climatic change, and we are striking on Fridays.
Besides, what was that? Is Bran the king? What are we supposed to do with the information that Jon Snow is Aegon Targaryan? What just happened??? Phew, but at least all the Avengers did assemble, and with that, an era of Marvel Universe came to an end.
Few GK facts about our decade. So each year was designated as an international year of something, and here is a list.
1. 2010: International Year of Youth and International Year of Biodiversity.
2. 2011: Internal Year of Forests, Internal year of Chemistry and International Year for People of African Descent.
3. 2012: International Year of Cooperatives and International Year of Sustainable Energy for All.
4. 2013: International Year of Water Cooperation and International Year of Quinoa.
5. 2014: International Year of Crystallography, International Year of Family Farming, International Year of Small Island Developing States, and International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.
6. 2015: International Year of Light and International Year of Soils.
7. 2016: International Year of Pulses by the sixty-eighth session of the United Nations General Assembly, International Year of Global Understanding (IYGU) by the International Council for Science (ICSU), the International Social Science Council (ISSC), and the International Council for Philosophy and Human Sciences (CIPSH).
8. 2017: International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development by the United Nations General Assembly.
9. 2018: The third International Year of the Reef by the International Coral Reef Initiative.
10. 2019: International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements by the United Nations General Assembly
So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover
A decade of weird internet trends, influencers, and TikTokers.
Ugh! What a ride! Looking forward to a lot of things, more marvel movies, the prequels of the Game of Thrones, World Cups, and more weird trends. Are we excited? Hell yes!